Ever since Adele hit the airwaves in 2011, most of us have been obsessed with her soulful voice and sorrowful lyrics. She has appeared on pretty much every music magazine cover, swept the Grammys, and is still trucking on strong with her latest hit Rolling in the Deep.
That all must be a lot to take in for a young woman turning 24 today. Somehow, I think Adele can handle it though.
In honor of her birthday, here are 10 Things You Probably Didn't Know About Adele:
1. Rumor Has It that Adele's album 21 was inspired by her breakup with actor/musician Slinky Winfield.
2. She has a tendency to name her albums after the age she was when she started each one: 19, 21.
3. Adele lists The Spice Girls amongher early influences.
4. Her first U.S. television appearance was on The Today Show.
5. Someone Like You is the first vocal and piano only song to top the Billboard Hot 100 chart since it's founding in 1958!
6. Adele has a Miniature Dachshund.
7. In the U.S. alone, Adele's album 21 has sold more copies than Katy Perry's Teenage Dream, Lady Gaga's Born This Way, Rihanna's Talk That Talk and Beyoncé's 4 - combined.
8. Rolling in the Deep has charted on the Billboard Adult Contemporary, Alternative Songs, Hot Dance Club Songs, Hot R&B/ Hip-Hop Songs, Rock Songs, Pop Songs and Adult Pop Songs charts.
9. Adele attended BRIT School for Performing Arts with Leona Lewis.
10. Her first concert was The Cure when she was just 3 years old. Her mother took her.
Happy Birthday Adele!
It has been a little while since I have done one of these posts, but while it may still be Spring we here in Florida are already geared up for Summer.
Have a looksie at what I have crammed in my pink and gold leopard print Betseyville bag:
1. Hello Kitty Makeup Tote
- This was a gift from a friend. I use it to store my Sephora shopping spree items.
2. Balanced B Complex
- Available at most drugstores, I take 2 tablets a day to ensure a healthy nervous system, help calm stress, build natural energy, and so much more!
3. Bare Minerals Concealer/Foundation & Brush
- My #1 makeup of choice. I love Bare Escentuals Bare Minerals because it looks and feels so light and natural and it's packed with SPF and Acne fighting ingredients. Available at Sephora.
4. Couture Couture by Juicy Couture
- A classic favorite Summer scent of mine.
5. Yellow Rim Aviators
- I nicked my new favorite pair of shades from my boyfriend.
7. Rimmell London Nail Polish - Sunset Orange
- I am a huge fan of bright colors all year round, but Summer just screams Orange!
Available at most drugstores.
8. Urban Decay Eyeshadow - Oil Slick
- This may be one of the best ways to go with smokey eyes, but I actually more often use it as powder eyeliner! The little kicks of shimmer mixed with the deep charcoal hue makes for great liner. Available at Sephora.
9. White Sage Smudge Stick
- I take my Smudge on the go to use in cleansings of my surroundings. No negative energy here! Available at Herbal or Spiritual Shops.
So that is what's in my bag this Summer.
What's in yours?
The hot mess actress we all know and love(d), Lindsay Lohan, is in trouble with the law... again! According to OK! magazine, last month Lilo was in West Hollywood at the Standard Hotel when she attacked a female named Marissa Sullivan Douglas and Douglas is sticking by her story with the West Hollywood Sheriff's Department on her side. Lindsay claims that the assault never took place because she was "at home watching TV" at the time of the supposed incident.
O Rly? Is that why Radar Online broke news this morning that you're on the surveillance video of the Standard Hotel on the exact night and time of said scuffle?
Lindsay! Y U like orange jumpsuits??
This event comes on the heels of Lindsay's last run in with the police as she came off of formal probation for that whole necklace fiasco last year.
Oh, and she still has a hit and run on her hands to deal with.
Any way you look at it, none of this bodes well for Lohan.
Do you think Lindsay's image will ever recover?
Admit it. You love when Rock marries Fashion.
Kings of Leon bassist Jared Followill has proposed to model girlfiend Martha Patterson. E! Online reports that Jared popped the question near his home in Nashville, TN with a 4 carat diamond ring.
Oh, I mean this 4 carat diamond ring:
Obviously, Martha said yes!
How could she not? So what they have only been dating a few months. This now means every member of Kings of Leon is now officially off of the market. Frontman and brother Caleb Followill married model Lily Aldridge last year, Nathan and Matthew are married as well.
Congratulations Jared and Martha! I am totally looking forward to another music & fashion mashup wedding.
What do you think of Jared Followill and Martha Patterson?
What do you think of that rock?
So I finally broke down to see what all of the fuss was about surrounding
this Instagr.am photo jazz and made myself an account!
Anyhow... here is my first batch of pics:
If you would like to see more you can follow me: heysylvs, and I will follow you back.
Thoughts so far?
Am I doing this right? aahaha xox
Move over, there's a new music diva in town!
When Blue Ivy Carter, daughter of Jay-Z and Beyonce, made her world debut the couple's friends had the gifts rolling in. Gwyneth Paltrow picked up a $1,029 stoller for her, for instance.
Yet one gift stands out among anything you could give a baby girl: her first iPod.This gift came from The Roots drummer Questlove.
So what exactly did it come with?
How about roughly 4,000 songs picked especially just for Blue which will be re-tweaked every Christmas to be deemed "the gift that keeps on giving", reports New York's Daily News. And what does dad think about the gift? "Jay loves it" says Questlove.
What do you think about Blue's latest gift?
Too young? Too much? Too awesome?
With summer approaching, the box office is gearing up for smash after smash as more trailers, character photos, and teasers ease their way out. With so many amazing movies coming out this summer, take a look at some of the most highly anticipated upcoming flicks.
Here are 7 Movies to Watch This Summer:
The Dark Knight Rises - In theaters June 20th
Director: Christopher Nolan
Starring: Christian Bale, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Liam Neeson, Anne Hathaway, Michael Cane, Tom Hardy, Marion Cotillard, Morgan Freeman, and Gary Oldman.
I have a feeling that pretty much everyone is looking forward to seeing this follow-up to 2008's The Dark Knight, which takes place 8 years after where we left on in the previous film. Bane (Hardy) emerges as the new face of terror in Gotham as Batman (Bale) returns from the cave to protect the city that now hates him.
The Avengers - In Theaters May 4th
Directed by: Joss Whedon
Starring: Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Samuel L. Jackson, Scarlett Johansson, Chris Hemsworth, Mark Ruffalo, Gwyneth Paltrow, Jeremy Renner, and Tom Hiddleston.
This is not just another superhero movie, this is the superhero movie! Fury (Jackson) brings together a massive ensemble of super humans - Iron Man (Downey Jr.), Captain America (Evans), The Hulk (Ruffalo), and others - to do one task, stop Loki (Hiddleston) and his crew from plotting disaster.
Rock of Ages - In theaters June 15th
Director: Adam Shankman
Starring: Tom Cruise, Julianne Hough, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Russell Brand, Diego Boneta, and Alec Baldwin.
Hands down, this has got to be one of the funniest films coming out this year. A rock comedy musical that takes place in 1987 with Cruise playing Stacee Jaxx? Yes please!
Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter - In theaters June 22nd
Directed by: Timur Bekmambetov
Starring: Dominic Cooper, Rufus Sewell, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, and Benjamin Walker.
President Abraham Lincoln finds out that Vampires are planning attacks to take over, so he sets off to pwn them all.
Dark Shadows - In theaters May 11th
Directed by: Tim Burton
Starring: Johnny Depp, Michelle Pfeiffer, Johnny Lee Miller, Eva Green, Helena Bonham Carter, and Chloe Moretz.
Barnabus Collins (Depp) is an imprisoned vampire who is set free, only to return home to deal with one very dysfunctional family.
Snow White and the Huntsman - In theaters June 1st
Directed by: Ruper Sanders
Starring: Kristen Stewart, Charlize Theron, and Chris Hemsworth.
The Hunstman (Hemsworth) is ordered to take Snow White (Stewart) into the woods to kill her at the orders of Queen Ravenna (Theron), but decideds to help Snow White instead so that they may overthrow the evil queen.
Men in Black III - In theaters May 25th
Director: Barry Sonnefeld
Starring: Will Smith, Tommy Lee Jones, Alice Eve, and Josh Brolin.
Finally, they're back! Agent J (Smith) must travel back into the 1960's to save partner Agent K (Jones/Brolin) from alien assassination.
Which movies are you waiting to see this summer?
Any on this list?
When I think about Kelly Clarkson, I cannot help but envision Ultimate Girl Power. I mean, this is "Miss Independent." The singer that showed us not everyone wants to be a size 0. The woman who taught us that it doesn't mean we're lonely when we're alone.
I mean, Kelly-friggin-Clarkson! The little girl from Texas who auditioned for some show called American Idol back in 2002, won, and went on to go 5 times platinum?
I joke. I joke. Like you don't know who Kelly Clarkson is - but here are 10 Things You Probably Didn't Know About Her:
1. Kelly's hit song 'Miss Independent' was co-written by Christina Aguilera.
2. Every year, she celebrates her birthday with Red Velvet cake. Her fave, obvs.
3. Kelly hopes to one day do a song with The Black Eyed Peas and/or Chris Brown.
4. Kelly is one of 9 siblings - 1 blood brother, 1 blood sister, 2 half brothers, and 5 step brothers and sisters.
5. Kelly had the honor of performing 'Ave Maria' for Pope Benedict XVI in New York.
6. She wears a retainer.
7. She owns a 60-acre animal rescue ranch in Texas.
8. Call her OCD if you like, but she is obsessed with even nubers.
(The reasoning behind this, I do not know, but it could have something to do with #4 on this list.... I joke again!)
9. Another hit single of Kelly's, 'Breakaway', was co-written by Avril Lavigne.
10. She is currently working on writing a Broadway musical.
Happy Birthday Kelly Clarkson! Now go have some Red Velvet cake girl!
As far as the world of Gleeks goes, the moment where Darren Criss (Blaine) and actor Matt Bomer (who played Blaine's brother, Cooper) busted into a duet cover of Australian singer Gotye's "Somebody That I Used to Know" on a recent episode of GLEE was glorious!
...but apparently things are not so outside of Gleekville.
Wally de Backer, otherwise known as Gotye, had some pretty harsh reviews for both Criss and Bomer. The Daily Mail sat down with the original and this is what he had to say about the GLEE rendition of his song:
"They did such a faithful arrangement of the instrumentals but the vocals were that pop Glee style, ultra-dry, sounded pretty tuned and the rock has no real sense. Like it's playing to you from a cardboard box."
He also went on to remark that the cover "made it sound dinky and wrong."
In case you missed it, here is the GLEE cover:
and here is original Goyte's official music video version:
What did you think of the GLEE performance?
Was it better, worse, or comprable to the original?
I actually loved it, sorry Gotye.
What better way to celebrate Earth Day than scoping some amazing Vegan Fashion Must Haves?
Eco-Friendly does not have to be brown and boring.
Here are some excellent examples of the art of this feel good fashion:
U-Neck Mini by Titania Inglis
This quad-toned mini is perfect for a night on the town with your girls or a night in with your boyfriend. You can play it up or dress is down and always make a fashionable entrance.
Available at: www.titaniainglis.com
Polka-Dot Button Down by Carrie Parry
As so noticible from the photo, this slightly sheer and wonderful black and while polka dot button down top is as versatile as it is entertaining to the eye. Pair it with a solid vibrant color for an amazing statement look.
Available at: www.carrieparry.com
Tissue Cashmere Shawl by M.Patmos
Handmade in Nepal, this playful accessory comes in four double hand dipped colors for ultimate Spring coordinating.
Available at: www.mpatmos.com
Gaia Print Top by Elroy
This racy print top comes in Oasis or River (pictured) pattern and screams one thing:
Let's Go Out Tonight!
Perfect for those nights where you feel like dancing until the sun comes up.
Available at: www.shopelroy.com
Let's face it, we all love shopping- but doesn't it feel so much rewarding when you know you're shopping Earth friendly?
What are some of your favorite Eco-Friendly clothing/accessory lines?